I am not a fan of orange or yellow as colours. I can recognize their value in establishing a mood, a good food shade and in mixing to get other colours I DO like but as a rule… these are not my friends. The exception of course is the rather queasy mix of orange to yellow that I use in making monarch butterfly designs in clay. Then I can just bear it.
I lucked out and got the kiddo to make blends for me on her semester break. That resulted in a whole pile of proto-monarch which turned into monarch wing canes and monarch beads and monarch butterfly canes.
I’m pretty happy with how it all came together. I blew through a pile of clay with this because a few blocks of my translucent were tougher than I wanted to use. I don’t care what people say about caning needing firm clay – my opinion is firm to a point, past which is just pain on your hands.
I’ve always got some clay work in the queue even if it’s just a bowl of beads that needs holes, little critters that need that last dot added to their eyes or canes that need their centres. The beads above are some representatives from the: drill me and varnish me dishes, respectively. And yes, there are little bowls with labels on them in my studio.
Canes are a drawn out process in my studio. I often bribe or bully my kiddo into making blends for me and she’ll work her way through a few pounds worth. This makes a fair number of canes (I can small for a production crafter) over the next week and months. These are finishing up the box of blends she did for me in November. I just need to find where I put the cane flower centres down…
I make beads for my work, both to sell in my Etsy shop and to use in my own designs for sale all over everywhere. Almost all of the beads I make use canes in some form – my favourite polymer clay technique – so sometimes when I sit down to crank out beads I am out of a specific cane I use in the design because a lot of the beads I make are based on a catalogue of designs.
This is why, suddenly, in the middle of making a pile of great crimson beads I whipped up a little butterfly cane. This one, my version of a cabbage white, is simple since there’s no blending and few colours. I should have made it larger but due to my moving studios I had very little brown at home… the brown I used for the bug was actually a mix of scrap browns on my table.
So, that’s my week 1 post for Katie’s Polymer Clay Challenge. I’m betting there will be lots of beads and canes but I’ll try to sneak in other clayful things.