Tag: experiment

Covering Eggs in Polymer Clay

Covering anything that doesn’t run away in polymer clay is pretty much a clayer’s mandate. December of 2009 I made a tutorial for covering round ornaments to get a different sort of look – as well as a potentially smoother coverage – and that tutorial is still a technique I use often.

In fact, I thought, why couldn’t I cover Easter eggs the same way? So I experimented a bit. Some of my issues are due to the fact that I used plastic eggs rather than regular chicken eggs. You’ll need to try out your egg in the oven but the ones I grabbed were the bag of cheapies from Walmart and they didn’t melt in the oven.

covering eggs in polymer clay

They are a little flimsy, so you have to be careful not to pinch the waist when working or they move. And for best results, leave a hole open where the hot air from IN the egg can escape. That means poking a hole through one of the holes on the egg once you’ve covered it.

covering eggs in polymer clay

You can see on one of my experiments where I DIDN’T leave the hole open and it bulged at the spot where there’s a hole in the plastic under it. On the other experiment, I left it open but made it big and ugly.

Just like the covering ornaments tutorial, you’ll want to prepare a few sheets of clay to cut up. A little goes a long way again. I did the sheets for my eggs a little thicker than for the ornaments since I wasn’t sure how the eggs would shift in baking but I probably didn’t need to worry about that.

covering plastic eggs in polymer clay

The diagram is very similar to the one you’d use for the round ornaments. The length of it needs to be the same as the length from tip to bottom of your egg. In my case, that was a shade over 3 1/2″. And the waist on your egg needs to be the mid-point on YOUR template. Which means you’ll want to edit mine so it works for your eggs. Don’t worry about cutting the shape out too precisely – or do a few scrap ones like I did – because you’ll have to tinker with the sizes. The eggs were a bit fussier to do than just covering the round ornaments but basically you stretch out one side of the template (to cover the tip) and shorten the other side a little (to cover the base).

covering eggs in polymer clay

Here are two of my experiments! One is done from some eye-popping cane covered sheets and the other is done from sheets of marbled scrap clay.

Experimenting

One of my goals the last year or two was to be a little more mad scientist in my crafting. Since I’ve sold my crafts for as long as I’ve made them, it’s a tough thing to make time for the trial and error that goes with learning new techniques when you have lines that sell well! The flip side, of course, is that if you don’t change it up you will eventually be uninteresting to the buying public and common and uninteresting to the craft community.

Buttons

I’ve been experimenting with surface decoration techniques because I’d like to try incorporating more texture into my work. Buttons are nice, flat spots to try this on. This was a faux ceramic tutorial – alcohol inks mixed with tls. I like them better now, with a gloss coat… they look a lot like some of the ceramic buttons with glazes that I have in my button jar. They’re going to get a few runs through the wash to see how well the shiny stands up. I know the clay stands up just fine, with sensible treatment… the shiny is my concern!

Flowers

Bunches more flower beads. The bright yellow green are Premo’s relatively new wasabi colour which I quite like. Odd, considering it is a retina burning acid green. Makes adorable flowers.