I’m tremendously privileged – I haven’t gotten sick and my income didn’t completely disappear in the last 12 months – but one of the side effects of having a greatly simplified life is having a little more time and processing power to try stuff. In my case, that’s been tackling some of the Idea Bunny List. What’s that list? It is the never ending, rapidly reproducing, list of ideas I’d like to take a try at but absolutely don’t need to. There’s random crafts, recipes, weird garden hacks, complex programming… all sorts of things.
On there, is finding something that uses the scrap wire my partner generates on his side of the shop. He installs electronics, primarily into vehicles, and all of the parts come with wires. Mostly they’re extras and they come in every colour. He recycles 100s of pounds of this stuff a year. I snagged some to play with and looked up some instructions and videos for simple coil basket making. And then I coiled some bowl-baskets. They’re pretty neat. The smaller is about 6 or 7 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep. The larger is around 12 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep. They’re not lightweight.
Also, plain black, white, and red wire are rare birds since they’re default electrical colours for EVERYTHING. So working out designs without those for contrast is odd. It’s like a giant puzzle. I’m happy I took a try though!
We’re finally here! The bead soup became a THING. If you need a refresher of what I started with you can see that here: The Challenge is On.
This was a tough soup for me. I almost never use bright gold tones. The cloisonné seahorse was a challenge but in the end I went for the gold and the whole colour palette. I mixed and matched beads from my stash with some of the soup and wired up a seahorse necklace. It’s fairly delicate piece but it has a lot of colour in there. I am pretty sure there’s carnelian, amazonite, some of my favourite little freshwater pearls with the stupidly crooked holes and, of course, the adorable seahorse.
After I got the seahorse piece done, work got super busy and I mostly ran out of time and inspiration to do any crafting outside of work. Until the day before the reveal, of course, when I figured I would wire together a few of the great faceted blue beads from the soup with one of my polymer beads. It’s pretty straightforward and I like it.
The rest of the soup will get pressed into service in other projects. There’s always room for a few more beads in my stash! And I got to play with wire which was my first joy way back before polymer.
Finally, don’t forget to see what my partner Dorit made and take a peek at what the other participants got up to, too!
The latest video tutorial – the video is at the bottom of this post – is for my covering round ornaments one. Turns out I wrote that in December of 2009 so I guess it was up for a little updating.
Someone who watched the video requested some instructions for the canes and I’ll get those up pretty quick. They’re fairly basic canes made from my scrap pile so your results will vary… and they’re not small canes. Reduce quantities accordingly.