I made cute little flag beads a bit ago and figured I would write up the process and point it. I did a much looser version years ago but did a more fleshed out one and loaded it up today. Have fun, let me know what needs fixing if you see anything.
Let me preface this with: I am no sort of sports person. I initially made baseball beads because a customer wanted some. This tends to be the reason I make a lot of the stuff that wanders off from rose canes or little flower beads. This tutorial is a high level walk through of making the cane. It assumes you can do a Skinner blend and are comfortable reducing or working with odd shapes. The beads are what I call slice beads. Each bead is a slice off the reduced cane. I drill holes after baking, typically, but you can punch them before you bake. You can bake the cane and slice the beads while still warm as well.
To make the shade on your baseball, mix a very light grey. Skinner blend the light grey to white and then turn it into a plug. If you don’t care about the shading, skip right along to adding the red “cord”.
Shape your plug into a half circle with the darker part on one end of the half circle. Cut the half circle into 3 parts. The middle section will be where we add the stitching. Slice the section in half and line the inside with red rolled out to midway on the pasta machine (in my case, yours may vary).
This gets you the sandwich with the red in the middle. Cut that in 7 parts, without mixing it up (we want the shading to stay in it’s place). Line each of the sections with a little of the red and then reassemble. Roll the cane to smooth it back out to fit back into your half circle block.
Reassemble your half circle chunk. Reduce it until at least 3 or 4 inches in length. Cut that in half and assemble it into a full circle. Voila! Shaded baseball cane. Reduce and use for all your baseball needs. In my case, beads for a good customer!
I’m a big fan of DIY. Part of that is because you get neato, original results. Part of that is because the price is often right. My show displays are what I like to call a charming mix of store bought and DIY goodness. I decided I needed a few more bracelet displays since what I use right now just wasn’t doing it for me. Pool noodles to the rescue!
I photographed and posted the grand mess if you’d like to take a peek. I plan on adding some clay beads or buttons to the ends of the rolls and snip threads a little more but it worked out!